On October 7, Hamas, a militant group primarily based within the Gaza Strip, launched a lethal assault on Israel, killing greater than 1,400 Israelis and kidnapping greater than 200. In retaliation, Israeli airstrikes had killed greater than 7,000 Palestinians when this video was revealed on October 27, and 1000’s extra have been killed since in Gaza, the place Palestinians have lived for many years below an occupation and blockade.
Since 1967, Israel has imposed tight restrictions on journey and important items resembling meals, gasoline, drugs, and water in its occupied territories. In 2007, these restrictions grew to become even tighter in Gaza after Hamas seized energy there. Since then, it has been almost unimaginable for Palestinians to go away Gaza or to entry an satisfactory provide of important items.
Immediately, the Gaza Strip, with a inhabitants of over 2 million Palestinians, is a sufferer of what many name “collective punishment” as Israel bombards its inhabitants, shuts off entry to the web, energy, meals, water, and drugs, forces them to go away their houses, and prepares for a floor invasion.
This newest episode of Vox Atlas explains how the expertise of Palestinians in Gaza obtained thus far, and what’s behind Israel’s occupation and its blockade of Gaza.
Sources and readings:
Thanks for watching! We all know we couldn’t cowl all the things concerning the Gaza Strip, this was only a begin. Beneath are a number of of sources and readings you may discover useful to be taught extra.
- Gisha, an Israeli nonprofit that works to guard freedom of motion for Palestinians, has achieved a lot analysis on the closure of Gaza and the way it impacts Palestinians there.
- Visualizing Palestine, a nonprofit that makes use of knowledge and analysis to make visuals, and B’Tselem, an Israeli human rights group, have helpful databases that monitor fatalities over time within the Gaza Strip, Israel, and the West Financial institution.
- This United Nations doc database helped us perceive infrastructural destruction in previous conflicts with Israel.
- The Largest Jail on Earth: A Historical past of the Occupied Territories by Ilan Pappé, professor of historical past on the College of Exeter
- The Hundred Years’ Conflict on Palestine: A Historical past of Settler Colonialism and Resistance, 1917–2017 by Rashid Khalidi, professor of recent Arab research at Columbia College
- The Gaza Strip: The Political Economic system of De-development by Sara Roy, senior analysis scholar on the Middle for Center Japanese Research at Harvard College
Yow will discover the video above and your complete library of Vox’s movies on YouTube.