May something be extra comforting than a bowl of home made Ham and Potato Soup?
This simple potato soup recipe combines veggies and chunks of ham in a creamy – it’s pure consolation meals.
An Straightforward Soup with Leftover Ham
- This soup makes use of easy components however is scrumptious, cozy, and creamy.
- It’s versatile – swap out the potatoes for leftover mashed or scalloped potatoes (scale back simmering time in the event that they’re already cooked) to make use of up your leftovers.
- It retains within the fridge for a couple of days and reheats effectively for lunches or fast meals.
Components for Ham & Potato Soup
Potatoes – Russet potatoes have a starchy texture and are my first alternative on this recipe. You may also use Yukon gold and even dissipate leftover roasted, mashed, or scalloped potatoes.
Greens – Onion, carrot, and celery (mirepoix) add nice taste to the bottom of this soup. You may also stir in leftover veggies like inexperienced beans and carrots are nice additions too.
Ham – Leftover ham works effectively or you should purchase a single ham steak on the grocery retailer and dice it. Smoked sausage and even floor sausage are nice replacements for ham.
Base – The bottom of this soup begins with hen broth (as a result of I want the flavour) however vegetable broth could be substituted. The addition of mild cream provides creaminess whereas retaining the energy in test. You possibly can swap it out for evaporated milk or perhaps a little bit of heavy cream if you happen to’d like. Bitter cream provides nice taste.
How To Make Ham and Potato Soup
I typically make a crock pot potato soup which simmers all day nonetheless this model is fast to organize for a weeknight meal.
- Soften butter and prepare dinner the onions till tender.
- Add remaining components, besides dairy (per the recipe beneath). Simmer over medium-low warmth till potatoes are tender.
- Mash a few of the potatoes, add cream, and simmer for a couple of minutes extra. Stir in bitter cream and serve.
Garnish with contemporary parsley if you happen to’d like and serve with a slice of home made bread or some rolls.
- Mash simply sufficient potatoes to thicken, the soup ought to have some potato and veggie chunks for texture.
- Stir within the bitter cream simply earlier than serving, simmering could cause it to grow to be grainy.
- Shredded cheddar cheese could be added (about 1 cup). Stir it in simply earlier than serving.
Storing Leftovers & Freezing
This Ham and Potato Soup could be refrigerated for as much as 5 days.
It’s greatest to freeze this ham and potato soup with out dairy. Take away a portion for freezing earlier than including the dairy. Thaw within the fridge in a single day after which reheat leftovers on the stovetop. Stir within the dairy as directed within the recipe.
Did you take pleasure in this Ham and Potato Soup? Depart us a ranking and a remark beneath!
Ham and Potato Soup
Scrumptious and simple soup with diced leftover ham, chunks of tender potatoes, and veggies!
In a big pot, soften butter over medium warmth. Add diced onion and prepare dinner till tender, about 5 minutes.
Add the diced potatoes, hen broth, diced ham, chopped carrot, sliced celery, minced garlic, parsley, thyme, and pepper. Stir to mix.
Improve the warmth to medium-high and produce the soup to a boil. Cut back to a simmer and prepare dinner for 20 minutes, or till the potatoes are tender.
Utilizing a potato masher, mash a few of the potatoes within the pot, add cream, and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
Mix the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water, stir into the soup, and simmer for two minutes.
Take away from the warmth and stir within the bitter cream. Style and add further salt and pepper if desired.
Cheese could be added together with the bitter cream. Take away from the warmth and stir in till melted.
For a thicker soup, mix equal components cornstarch and water. Pour just a little at a time into simmering soup whereas whisking to succeed in desired thickness.
For a thinner soup, add further hen broth.
Energy: 285 | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 12g | Fats: 19g | Saturated Fats: 10g | Ldl cholesterol: 63mg | Sodium: 815mg | Potassium: 706mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 1949IU | Vitamin C: 21mg | Calcium: 80mg | Iron: 4mg
Diet data offered is an estimate and can range based mostly on cooking strategies and types of components used.
© SpendWithPennies.com. Content material and pictures are copyright protected. Sharing of this recipe is each inspired and appreciated. Copying and/or pasting full recipes to any social media is strictly prohibited. Please view my picture use coverage right here.