Constructed from pecans, Biscoff cookies, confectioners’ sugar, and—sure, rum!—rum balls are a grownup-favorite festive deal with which are straightforward to make and enjoyable to present. They style even higher after a day or two within the fridge, so I like to recommend making them prematurely. Excellent little vacation deal with for the cookie tray!
Let’s give the grownups some credit score across the holidays. We have now a LOT to do in a brief period of time. Between adorning, buying, wrapping, baking, planning for visitors or journey, internet hosting/attending events… it’s a enjoyable time of yr, but in addition the busiest. So let’s do some one thing particularly for the grownups for a change… let’s make rum balls!
[SIDE NOTE: While not strictly a cookie recipe (after all, I do have a different version of these in my Sally’s Candy Addiction book), I decided they qualify for Sally’s Cookie Palooza because they’re often included on a holiday cookie tray. And they are made with crushed cookies, so… let’s just roll with it. Pa-RUM-pum-pum-YUM.]
Why You’ll Love These Boozy Rum Balls
- 2-bite little treats
- Make-ahead pleasant—in truth, they’re even higher after they’re made forward!
- Fast and simple no-bake recipe
- Utilizing Biscoff cookies elevates these to the very best rum balls you’ve ever tasted
- Dairy-free, egg-free recipe
Solely 7 Components
- Pecans: You need to use giant pecan halves or smaller items; both approach, they’ll get finely chopped with the cookies within the meals processor.
- Biscoff cookies (or Nilla Wafers): My staff and I examined making rum balls with Nilla Wafers, which is what most rum ball recipes use, however the Biscoff ones have been the clear winner in a style take a look at. By far the favourite! If you happen to’d choose to make use of Nilla Wafers as a substitute of Biscoff, see recipe Notes beneath.
- Confectioners’ sugar: Sweetens the rum balls.
- Cocoa powder: I used high-quality Guittard model dutched cocoa powder right here, quite than the essential cocoa powder I normally use for baking (Hershey’s). This isn’t sponsored in any respect, however we actually seen a distinction when utilizing the high-quality stuff. You solely want 2 Tablespoons (10g) within the recipe. See what your grocery retailer carries, and choose a better high quality product for those who can.
- Rum: I really like these with spiced rum, particularly across the holidays, however you might additionally use darkish rum and even coconut rum, whichever is your choice.
- Vanilla Extract: Do-it-yourself vanilla extract could be nice in these rum balls!
- Honey: A bit of honey is the “glue” that makes the combination come collectively.
If you happen to’ve ever made this older recipe for darkish chocolate coconut rum truffles, you’ll discover some key variations within the elements. That recipe makes use of graham crackers, coconut rum, and shredded coconut; and we additionally give them a dip in melted chocolate.
How one can Make Rum Balls
Begin by grinding the Biscoff cookies and pecans collectively in a meals processor right into a superb crumb. Add the confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder, and pulse just a few instances to mix. Switch the dry combination to a big mixing bowl. Add the moist elements and stir properly with a silicone spatula till a moist dough types.
Very straightforward, however I do have some success ideas beneath.
You don’t have to refrigerate the combination earlier than rolling, since you need the dough to be sticky, so the coating will keep on with the rum balls. However let it sit for about 10 minutes earlier than rolling into balls, to offer the crumbs a while to soak up the liquid.
Scoop a Tablespoon of the combination and roll right into a ball. Give it a roll in considered one of your coatings of selection (recommendations beneath!), and place it on a tray lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
Add a Coating
That is the place you possibly can have some enjoyable with all of the other ways you possibly can coat the rum balls to make them look fairly! Listed below are just a few suggestions:
After coating, place the tray of rum balls within the fridge. These style even higher after a day or two of chilling, when the flavors actually meld collectively and mellow out the rum taste.
Rum Ball FAQs
You might change the rum with half orange juice and half apple juice/cider, however clearly the style will change. Or I like to recommend making these no-bake chocolate coconut snowballs as a substitute!
You need to use pecan meal (already-ground pecans) if you’ll find it within the retailer, and crush the cookies in a zip-top bag, utilizing a rolling pin and a few arm muscle. Use a whisk to mix all of the dry elements.
As a result of they’re not baked, the alcohol doesn’t prepare dinner off. However you’d must eat A LOT of them to really feel a robust alcohol impact, and these are a deal with finest loved carefully!
Whereas I’ve not examined this, you might doubtless simply use extra Biscoff cookie crumbs. See recipe Be aware beneath.
Sure. Bourbon is one other in style selection.
No, however I extremely advocate it for the very best style and texture.
Proper after making the rum balls, sure, they style fairly boozy. Nevertheless, give them a day or 2 after which the Biscoff, cocoa powder, and pecan flavors actually start to shine. They’re SO a lot tastier after the flavors mingle!
Dos and Don’ts for the Finest Rum Balls
- Do use whichever kind of rum you like the style of—darkish, spiced, coconut…
- Don’t let the rum balls sit for too lengthy earlier than rolling them in your coatings. They’ll get too dry and the coating received’t stick as properly.
- Do hold them out of attain of kids! They appear like chocolate truffles, particularly if coated in sprinkles.
- Don’t use a meals processor to mix the moist elements with the dry. The combination rapidly turns into overprocessed, and overly moist and greasy. Switch the dry combination to a mixing bowl and use a silicone spatula to stir within the moist elements by hand.
- Do chill them within the fridge for a day or so, for the very best tasting rum balls.
- Don’t eat too many directly!
Sally’s Cookie Palooza
This recipe is a part of my annual cookie countdown known as Sally’s Cookie Palooza. It’s the most important, most scrumptious occasion of the yr! Browse dozens of cookie recipes over on the Sally’s Cookie Palooza web page together with:
and listed here are 75+ Christmas cookies with all my finest success guides & ideas.
Rum balls are a grownup-favorite festive deal with which are straightforward to make and enjoyable to present. These no-bake, boozy rum balls style even higher after a day or two within the fridge, so I like to recommend making them prematurely.
- Place the pecans and Biscoff cookies in a meals processor, and course of till finely floor into crumbs. Add confectioners’ sugar and cocoa powder, and pulse just a few instances till mixed.
- Switch the combination to a big bowl. (Don’t do that step within the meals processor.) Add the spiced rum, vanilla, and honey. Stir with a spatula till utterly mixed right into a moist dough. Let sit for 10 minutes to offer the crumbs time to soak up the liquid. Throughout that point, place your coatings of selection in small bowls, for rolling.
- Scoop a Tablespoon of the combination (about 20g) and roll right into a ball. Combination can be a bit moist—that’s okay. Roll the ball in coating and place on a lined baking sheet or tray. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Refrigerate the rum balls for no less than 2 hours and as much as 5 days. I strongly advocate no less than 1 day for finest style and texture. If refrigerating for longer than just a few hours, cowl tightly. The rum balls are additionally superb at room temperature for just a few days.
- When serving, you possibly can place the rum balls in mini baking cups to maintain any unfastened coatings from getting too messy.
- Make Forward & Freezing Directions: These rum balls style even higher after a pair days within the fridge! To freeze: Place them in a freezer-friendly container or zip-top bag, and freeze for as much as 3 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge.
- Particular Instruments (affiliate hyperlinks): Meals Processor | Glass Mixing Bowls | Silicone Spatula | Silicone Baking Mat or Parchment Paper Sheets | Mini Baking Cups
- Nut-Free: For a nut-free model, I like to recommend skipping the pecans and including 12–14 extra Biscoff cookies (or about 90g).
- Different Nuts: Be happy to interchange the pecans with walnuts. I’ve not examined different nuts on this recipe, so let me know for those who do!
- Substituting Nilla Wafers for Biscoff: If you happen to’d choose to make use of Nilla Wafers as a substitute of Biscoff, use one 11-ounce (311g) field to yield about 3 cups of crumbs. Bear in mind the rum balls will now not be dairy- and egg-free if utilizing Nilla Wafers.
- Cocoa Powder: You need to use both unsweetened pure or Dutch-processed cocoa powder. I like to recommend utilizing a high-quality cocoa powder for finest style. I used high-quality Guittard model dutched cocoa powder. This isn’t sponsored in any respect, however we actually seen a distinction when utilizing the high-quality stuff. See what your grocery retailer carries, and choose a better high quality product for those who can.
- Rum: I really like these with spiced rum, particularly across the holidays, however you might additionally use darkish rum and even coconut rum, whichever is your choice. I normally use Bacardi spiced rum.
- Non-Alcoholic Model: You might change the rum with half orange juice and half apple juice/cider (1/4 cup/60ml every), however clearly the style will change. Or I like to recommend making these no-bake chocolate coconut snowballs as a substitute!
- COATINGS: For coatings, 1 cup (100g–130g) is normally sufficient for the entire batch of rum balls. Choices for coatings embrace desiccated unsweetened coconut, finely chopped pecans/nuts, sprinkles, Biscoff cookie crumbs, confectioners’ sugar (the balls keep a bit sticky when utilizing confectioners’ sugar), or unsweetened cocoa powder (82g). You may as well do just a few completely different coatings in 1 batch, just like the pictured rum balls. Use a smaller quantity of every coating, akin to 1/4 cup.