You’re pondering of adopting a cat. You’ve checked out your native animal centre to search out your good match and now you’ve received your eye on a particular feline you’d wish to carry house. However how are you aware you’re prepared?
Cats will be mysterious however figuring out tips on how to correctly take care of one shouldn’t be. Right here’s what it is advisable to do to assist your cat get pleasure from a easy transition into its new life.
9 issues to know
- Discover a close by veterinary clinic the place you may take your cat for routine care and well being examinations. Pay attention to the clinic’s hours and discover an emergency clinic for after-hours diseases or accidents.
- Place a litter field in a quiet, simply accessible spot that additionally provides privateness to your feline good friend. If you happen to adopted a kitten lower than six months outdated, use solely non-clumping cat litter. Litter usually sticks to their fur and toes. That would result in digestive and intestinal issues in case your kitten ingests any litter whereas cleansing themselves.
- Spend money on high quality chrome steel or ceramic meals and water dishes. Cats want loads of contemporary water every day, so hold your pet’s water dish stuffed with contemporary, clear water.
- Vitamin is essential to maintain your cat wholesome, so deciding on a top quality cat or kitten meals is a should. Sometimes, kittens ought to be fed three to 4 small meals a day. Most grownup cats ought to be fed a few times every day. Speak to your veterinarian to find out how usually and the way a lot to feed your cat.
- Grooming instruments, reminiscent of a brush or comb, are necessary to assist hold your cat’s coat wholesome.
- Cats love toys and actions that hold them stimulated and lively. If you buy any toys that include yarn or string, make sure to supervise your cat at play. Ingestion of those supplies could cause severe, and generally deadly, intestinal injury.
- A scratching publish is advisable, as clawing is a pure and regular behaviour for cats. Select a scratching publish that’s tall sufficient that your cat can absolutely stretch out when scratching. Cats sometimes have a desire of what substrate they get pleasure from scratching, so discover out in case your cat likes carpet vs. rope vs. burlap as a scratching publish.
- If you happen to plan on letting your cat go open air whereas supervised, get a breakaway collar, harness and leash, identification tag, in addition to guarantee your cat is microchipped as a everlasting type of identification. It’s necessary to remember that there are various risks open air for cats. Indoors is a safer choice; nevertheless, in case your cat enjoys some outside time, take into account constructing a ‘catio’!
- Lastly, spay or neuter your furry good friend! Spaying or neutering your pet will help cut back the variety of unplanned cats and canines that find yourself in animal centres. All cats of applicable age are spayed or neutered on the Ontario SPCA earlier than being adopted.
Being a cat mother or father is a rewarding expertise. We want you and your new feline good friend all the very best as you get to know one another!